This lockdown during COVID-19 has really changed the way we do things, from how we shop, work, do business, educate kids and hang out with our friends. We are now living in a virtual world and businesses have been getting creative and finding ways to offer their services online. It amazes me to no end how resilient small businesses are.
What IS a Virtual Escape Room?
Simply put, you get to "solve an escape room from the comfort of your own home". You can connect with your friends online from anywhere in the world. That's the beauty of it being virtual.
At first, it might be hard to picture how an escape room can be played online. I loved our in-person experience at an escape house so I really wanted to try this. My husband and I invited our friends to give this a go with us and to be honest, none of us knew what to expect. We weren't sure how we could solve an escape room ONLINE!
We ended up having so much fun! It was very interactive and all six of us agreed that the experience was somewhat better virtually than in person for many reasons which I'll touch on below.
How it works
The game is fully private and they recommend up to 8 people. There were 6 of us, so it was just us and the host.
We all connected online through zoom and we were greeted by the host, a real live person who was onsite in the escape room. The host brought us through the story, starting with us entering the room through the door together.
The host guided us to explore and search for clues and the six of us worked together to solve puzzles, just like in real life! There were three different rooms and as we solved the puzzles, we advanced through the game and into the different rooms.
The Game - Mystery at Maryweather Mansion
Ms. Maryweather is a world renowned archaeologist and explorer. Upon her current travels, she has received word that her collection of artifacts is in jeopardy. She has asked for help, you and your team will have 1 hour to navigate through her stately manor and try to find the most prized possession.
You need to make some choices to decide what it is that she wants protected the most. Sometimes value means different things to different people and your job is to outsmart her sinister opponent.
The objective is to find Ms. Maryweather's most prized possession and bring it to safety and then placing it somewhere so it'll stay out of the wrong hands.
How did we do?
At first, we were quiet as we were just trying to figure out how we were going to solve the puzzles and how this game works virtually. In real life, we would have been all over the room, picking things up, looking at different objects, yelling out ideas.
Virtually, we couldn't do that. We relied on the host to take us around. Once we got the hang of it though, we learned how to work together to solve the puzzles one at a time using the clues we were able to find. We missed a couple of clues but we kept going. We put our heads together to solve the puzzles despite missing the clues.
Did we end up finding Ms. Maryweather's most prized possession? You bet we did! With two minutes to spare. That's right folks, we finished the game in 58 minutes!
Who can experience a Virtual Escape Room?
The game is family and kid-friendly so anyone can play. I would say it depends on the age of your kids though. Ours are 6 and 4 and while they occasionally checked out what we were doing, they really weren't that interested yet. I would say 7 year-old kids and up would have a lot of fun with this.
A remote escape room experience is great for:
- Virtual Birthday Parties (Adults or Kids). They recommend up to 8 participants, but if it's for a kid's birthday party they can add a few more kids into the mix with no issues.
- Corporate Online Team building. With staff working virtually now, team building is going to become more important than ever to keep teams motivated and connected.
- A Fun Experience With Friends or Family
- A Gift to a loved one (hint: Father's day is coming up)
And because it's virtual, there's no geographic limitation! If you have family or friends in another country, you can still play together! Great for getting everyone together for family gatherings and birthday parties.
A great way to spend time with friends while in isolation
The Virtual Escape Room really felt like we were there with our friends. It was very interactive and we all agreed it was such a great way to spend an evening together.
For us, we thought the virtual escape room experience was better than the real life one because of the following reasons:
- All of us have young kids and finding a sitter for an evening out is not always the easiest. So the fact that we didn't have to find a sitter was a huge bonus.
- We didn't have to get dressed up and go out. We got to experience this from the comfort of our own homes, while still enjoying each other's company along with some wine and beer.
- The real-life escape room experience can feel a little bit chaotic with everyone checking out different parts of the room at the same time, and not necessarily working harmoniously clue by clue. It could also be overwhelming for some people that from what I've experienced, a few would end up just sitting quietly and observing instead of participating. Because we weren't able to scatter throughout the room, we learned to work together to solve one puzzle at a time and everyone participated.
- We can play with anyone from anywhere in the world!
We had so much fun that I highly encourage everyone to try a Virtual Escape Room. You can get 15% off at Looking Glass Adventures if you use our code TSU15.
Since we last found Ms. Maryweather's most prized possession, Looking Glass Adventures has introduced another game that we can't wait to try - Operation Flamingo.
Here's a short description of this game:
You’re special agents brought on to a top secret mission. You and your team have clearance to break into a home but the resident is a mastermind who set up an elaborate system of puzzles and traps to try to keep you out. You and your team have 1 hour to find your way in, infiltrate his house and extract some mysterious and dangerous items. Be quick and be careful– nothing about this house is at is seems.